Sunday, December 6, 2015

A-Z Vintage: F

The last 5 days have been surreal. A radio station actually had this poll on their website: 




The poll made me laugh so hard! Really? My dog is winning in a poll vs Adele. So strange. 
I sold 9-10 things so far this month. I'm waiting for everything to pick up. Hopefully, it happens before we leave on the 19th. 


A-Z Vintage: F 

Fisher Price 






Fisher Price was founded by Herman Fisher, Irving Price, Margaret Evans Price and Helen Schelle in 1930. The New York based toy company centered their toy making principles on intrinsic play value, ingenuity, strong construction, good value for money and action. Early Fisher Price toys were made of heavy steel parts and ponderosa pine; which held up under heavy use. 

In 1931, the founders took 16 of their wooden toys to the American International Toy Fair in New York City; they quick became a success. The first ever Fisher Price toy sold was "Dr. Doodle" in 1931. 

The company started making toys with plastic in the 1950's. During the 1960's, The Play Family (later known as Little People) was introduced and quickly became the most popular toy. In 1993, Fisher Price became a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel. In 1997, Mattel decided to market all of its preschool products under the Fisher Price name. 

Fisher Price has produced over 5,000 toys and worked with Disney, Sesame Street, Barney and Dora the Explorer; among others. 


Fisher Price vintage toys are very popular on eBay with 10,784 currently listed and 14,073 recently sold. I thought steel toys from the 1950's and earlier would be the highest sellers but I was wrong. Little People are KING on eBay. Here are some of the highest selling vintage Fisher Price items: 






































I've seen vintage Little People items at thrift stores only a couple times. The best place to Little People is at estate sales or sometimes at garage sales. I regularly find vintage Fisher Price items at estate sales; where an elderly person has passed away. Check out the estate sales in your area to find Fisher Price items at a great price. 


Growing up my Mom was a babysitter. We'd have 10-15 kids in our house at all times and I loved it! She would go out every Saturday morning to find toys at garage sales for all the kids to play with. We had a giant play room filled with vintage Fisher Price toys (some were even vintage back then). So, we have or had pretty much every Little People toy set ever produced. We still have several of the sets. Due to growing up with Fisher Price items, I LOVE it! Like Disney pieces, I have Fisher Price items decorating my house. For instance: 



The castle was always my favorite. I have it on the ledge below my vaulted ceilings. 

I have a hard time selling Fisher Price items because of my fondness for them. I have sold one Fisher Price item: 




Micro explorer set from 1986, I sold was still in the box. I sold it for $39.99. 


I have several small vintage Fisher Price items to sell including; Little People, Little People accessories, camera and view master. I need to decide if I want to sell them in lots or each individual piece. 


If you find vintage Fisher Price items; buy them. 80's babies, who now have some money, played with them as children and are more than willing to spend the money on a piece of nostalgia. 


Next A-Z Vintage: G 


Golden Books 

No comments:

Post a Comment