Saturday, July 16, 2016

Need Your Thoughts.......




I have an idea for a business. Last night I was feeling the urge to sell everything I own and just drive around the country thrift shopping and selling on eBay. I realized quickly that I was being dramatic. Yet; the feeling of wanting a change was still there. So, I thought how can I afford to travel the country? My answer: convince thrift stores to pay for me to travel and shop at their stores. In return I anonymously evaluate their store from the shopper's perspective. Let's just say the whole idea is a work in progress. I need help on a few things. If you could please answer these questions for me: 


1. If you were to evaluate a thrift store, what criteria would you use? Please be specific and think outside the box. I know the obvious criteria. 


2. If you were to start the business I proposed, what steps would you take? Advice you would give? 


3. Do you think it would work? Or am I just crazy? Anyone interested in helping? 



Thank you in advance! I've already sold as many items in July as all of June. Here are a few: 



     Double D Western Women's Jacket

          Cost: $6.00          Sold: $32.99 




       Nat Nast Men's Button Down Shirt

          Cost: $3.99          Sold: $23.77





     Levi's 80's Child Denim Jacket NWT 


          Cost: $0.00          Sold: $37.99





       Theory Women's Leather Pants 

          Cost: $4.49          Sold: $39.99




    Newport News Leather Pants Size 18

          Cost: $3.35          Sold: $21.99


I've started looking for leather pants. Turns out they sell really well and people do donate them. 





  Ralph Lauren Purple Label Men's Shirts

          Cost: $8.60          Sold: $46.00


I found these shirts together in Naples. Probably could've gotten more but accepted a better offer within hours of posting them. I'll take the easy money. 





       Axis & Allies Pacific Board Game 

          Cost: $3.99          Sold: $49.99


If you find any Axis & Allies game, buy it. They have an insane number of pieces and are difficult to ship but well worth it. I have NO clue if all these pieces were in this game and it still sold for $49.99. If the game is missing pieces, just separate out the pieces and sell them individually to someone who loses a piece to their game. 





        Brioni Men's Linen Jacket 40

          Cost: $4.00          Sold: $64.99

Brioni items are VERY hard to find. If you do find a Brioni item, like Ice Cube says: Today is a Good Day! 




       Silver Suki Bootcut Womens Jeans

          Cost: $4.99          Sold: $29.99


How is July going for you? 

4 comments:

  1. S L O W over here! But I'm on vacation and the store settings reflect that. I'll be back in a few days and I'm pretty sure things will pick up. I'm glad things have picked up for you.

    Good luck with your business idea! I don't know enough about the thrift business to know if that would be a desirable service to them, or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one of a million perspectives:
    1. If you were to evaluate a thrift store, what criteria would you use? Please be specific and think outside the box. I know the obvious criteria.
    1. Turnover - I love a store that turns over stuff fast because I visit my favorites often and want to see new stuff when I visit.
    2. Pricing - For instance do they price all shoes, shirts, etc. the same price? Awesome, because our knowledge will reap rewards. Do they cherry pick items and keep them behind the counter at unrealistic prices? Ugh - I won't be visiting that store much.
    3. Mission - If they benefit a favorite charity or group like the SPCA, I would definitely give props for that.
    4. Staff - I want to shop with helpful, friendly people like everyone else. If I have to worry about running into the lady who slams everything when she puts it on the shelf, I don't want to shop there.
    5. Specials - I like shopping at a local thrift that gives a 25% discount on everything every Tuesday if you signed up via text. One store had a 50% off special on books for awhile.

    2. If you were to start the business I proposed, what steps would you take? Advice you would give?
    I can't really say the steps I would take. But if you believe in it, make the commitment and make a plan.

    3. Do you think it would work? Or am I just crazy? Anyone interested in helping?
    I'm not sure if it would work only because it's a new idea (and would be such a cool job) and sometimes it takes awhile for people to wrap their heads around new ideas. But here's a test you can do on yourself. Imagine YOU are the thrift store owner and someone approached you with your idea and ask yourself the hard questions. Just remember that everyone will not be on board or be able to see your vision - you are going to have to show them the benefit of your service. What's in it for them? Will your evaluation add to their bottom line? If you can justify it, have confidence, and follow through - I would go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! I absolutely love your thoughts. You definitely helped me. I'm discovering the hardest part so far is figuring out how each state is divided into districts. As far as Goodwill goes anyway. The National Goodwill couldn't help me so I'm going state by state.
      Thank you! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Have you tried http://www.city-data.com/
      It has a wealth of information - not sure if it's organized in the way you want, but it's a starting point.

      Delete