Thursday, January 14, 2016

Why I sell on EBay......




There is a common misconception that disabled people have it easy. We don't have to work, get paid for nothing and have lots of free time. Yes, those things are true BUT there is another side to being disabled. Take me for example: 

I receive an above average amount each month from Social Security. Still, it's only enough to pay my rent, utilities, Internet, phone bill, gas for my car and groceries. Social Security doesn't pay for my expensive medicines, doctor's bills, credit card bill that is entirely medical bills, emergency funds or anything else. Yes, I could have hours of free time every day, but if I don't have any money what's the point? 

Yes, disabled people receive money (that they invested in the Social Security system for years); yet being disabled is expensive. I've spent over $70,000 in dental bills since becoming disabled. My orthopedic surgeon is over 8 hours from my home, so I pay for hotels, gas, and food; in addition to the doctor bills. This week I traveled to the University of Miami to see an eye doctor. Every time I get money saved, my health eats it all up. Being disabled is like constantly walking on a tight rope. 

I sell on eBay as a way to take back financial control of my life. Since I started selling on eBay again, I've traveled to Washington DC, San Antonio, and New Orleans. Next month, I'm going to Las Vegas. This summer Id like to take a long trip up the east coast: Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Montreal and Toronto. I couldn't travel anywhere without ebay. Selling on eBay has widen my tight rope to a balance beam.


If you sell on eBay.....why? I'd love to hear your motivation. If not....why not? 


January has been really good to me so far. Last January, I only sold 30 items. This year I've already sold 39 items. I've listed 30 items the last 2 days and still have about 40 more to list. Here are a few items I've sold recently: 




                         Cost: $4.29 
                        Sold: $49.99 

This shirt sold in a matter of hours. When I saw it on the rack at the store, my smile lit up like a light bright! Buy any Polo Sport item you find; especially items with the bear. 




                         Cost: $3.00 
                        Sold: $39.99 

Ralph Lauren men's blazer/jacket size 52L. I generally buy Ralph Lauren jackets whenever they are priced $4.00 and under. This jacket sold in hours also. 





                         Cost: $2.00 
                        Sold: $29.99 

Henri Lloyd men's sailing vest. Henri Lloyd will be on my next A-Z brands list. It sells for high profits....quickly! 





                         Cost: $6.00
                        Sold: $49.99 

My dawg Ermenegildo Zegna! I love buying and selling anything EZ. Just keep in mind the jackets are in European sizes, so if the tags says 52 then it's 42 in the United States. 





                         Cost: $3.00 
                        Sold: $22.00 

Philadelphia Eagles vintage Reebok jacket. I accepted a best offer of $22 on this jacket. I listed it yesterday with the Polo Sport Bear shirt and Ralph Lauren blazer. Happy all three sold in hours! 





                          Cost: $0.00
                         Sold: $38.00 

Ralph Lauren vintage pillowcases. Any day you make $38 on pillowcases is a good day! 





                         Cost: $4.80 
                        Sold: $28.00 

NYDJ Bootcut jeans size 16. Plus size NYDJ jeans are an automatic sale! 





                         Cost: $0.00
                        Sold: $19.99

Ohio State sweatshirt throw. I'm obsessed with Ohio State. I was born 5 minutes from the campus. I was going to attend college there until I saw the cost of out of state tuition and changed my mind quickly! I'd still be paying student loans if I'd gone to OSU. By going to Florida GulfCoast University, I never needed a student loan :) I found this blanket at my mom's house. 





                          Cost: $3.00 
                         Sold: $21.00 

Chaps by Ralph Lauren vintage blazer. If a blazer has the name Ralph Lauren and cost under $4....buy it! 




                         Cost: $3.00 
                        Sold: $17.00 

Silver women's jeans size 28. Silver is a brand Im always looking for! 


Sorry for the disturbing pictures at the beginning of the post. I just wanted to show what I've fought through! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow - those are great sales! I'm so glad you have the chance and the motivation to sell on eBay so you can take the trips you want and give yourself some financial options/freedoms. I truly admire your courage and your initiative. I've learned much on the few posts that I've read so far -I hope to read from the beginning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sell on eBay to keep up with many life expenses...medical bills (#1), daycare, etc. Since our income is eaten up by these, eBay helps pay for Christmas and other expenses that we don't "need." Congrats on the sales! Still so slow here :-( only have sold a few items this month and currently have about 150 items listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I've asked you this before but what is your ebay user name? I want to follow you if I'm not already.

      Delete
    2. I actually closed my store because it really wasn't paying off for me. I'm still selling but using my free listings and promos. My username is laura.kearns if you can find my listings that way

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I started selling on ebay this past summer after not having a raise for 8 years - I'm a teacher. It's a way for me to eliminate debt, and afford a private education for my daughter. I feel more empowered about my income now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your reasons for selling on eBay. Basically we all do it for financial freedom. Never hurts to make some money on your own time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sell on eBay bc the job market in Hawaii sucks. We moved to Hawaii six months ago thanks to the military and I only started selling on eBay in Sept. It affords me the time to explore the island with my husband when he's off but work from home and make a financial contribution to our family. It's turned my hobby into a 'job' and I love it. I definitely don't have access to super cheap thrifts here, though. And I can't offer free shipping on as many items as I'd like but I'm making it work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the thrill of the hunt, and the feeling of satisfaction when an item goes to a new home. I get to own some lovely things for awhile, and send them on to new homes. I sell on ebay because I LOVE to travel and thrift. I have learned a lot from your blog, thank you for everything!

    ReplyDelete