Friday, February 19, 2016

Non-Clothing Struggles





Love this picture & just had to include it! One of my favorite actors and two of my favorite characters ever. 


I enjoy posting about my struggles. Generally, I get the largest response on posts about struggles and get great advice. 

Let me set up the scenario: 

- I set the goal of 25% of my thrifted items this year being non-clothing items. 

- THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. 

- I understand if my sourcing changed, I'd have better odds of finding non-clothing items. At the moment, I'm not big on yard sales or flea markets. The flea markets aren't good here and I like to sleep on Saturdays. 

- Researching clothing and having knowledge of clothing brands is fairly easy. It's pretty limited to: jeans, shirts, shoes, jackets and categories such as that. Researching non-clothing is A LOT more extensive. Records, plush, knick knocks, toys, VHS tapes, DVDs....I could keep going. 


So, what non-clothing items do you buy and sell? Where did you acquire the expertise? 

I acquired the knowledge I have by selling consignment items. I sell tons of non-clothing items for consignment purposes but not that I find on my own at thrift stores. Here are a few things I've bought and sold (or are selling now): 



I ALWAYS search for DISNEY DVDs at thrift stores but they are difficult to find. 





Old Christmas ornaments seem to sell well. I sold one from 1980 and one from 1981. I was attracted to them because I was born in 1980 and my brother in 1981. I'm guessing people lose or break the ones they had and need a replacement. 









Honestly, I try not to buy purses. I don't know enough about purses to distinguish the real from the fake. Occassionally, I will take the chance. I thought these two were worth the risk. Ebay actually shut down one of my listings for a Louis Vuitton cosmetic bag, that I'm pretty sure was legit. They waited 3 months to shut it down. I usually don't buy Louis Vuitton purses or bags at thrift stores, but I found an authentic Louis Vuitton jacket at the same store in Naples; so I thought it was worth the chance. Oh well, I'll sell it in a yard sale. 








I never realized plush could sell for high profits until reading other blogs. Plush could be my savior to reaching my 25% goal. What plush do you sell? 





I LOVE board games! We played for hours as kids and our family still plays when together. I always check for quality board games to sell....which I found them more often. 


I've also sold: 

- Mugs
- Vintage toys 
- Puzzles
- Horror VHS movies 
- Candy jars 


What am I missing? Any advice? 


6 comments:

  1. I have read about people having good luck selling children's lovies or blankets. This is a post from one person about it: http://canigetsomesugarwiththeselemons.blogspot.com/2015/02/almost-like-free-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be loveys (not lovies). And here is another person selling them: http://www.shethrifts.com/2015/05/i-love-to-sell-loveys.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one item that is non-clothing. It's some new wall decals from Pottery Barn Kids. I do browse the non-clothing departments at the GW, but rarely see anything I'd take a chance on because I just don't have the desire to ship things that are fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love selling vintage toys! I've sold vintage play doh sets, fisher price toys, plush and lots more. People are willing to pay top dollar for the nostalgia. I don't sell too many books. I think that's too much work, having to scan or look up each one when most of them are worthless. I've had luck with non vintage Sesame Street toys. I sold an Elmo vacuum once for $60, which is crazy to me. I just picked up an Elmo microwave that I can sell on Amazon for about $40. I also look for vintage Pyrex because it can sell really well depending on the piece

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've sold plush in the past and without much luck. I think my problem with plush is I buy what I like, not necessarily popular plush. My daughter was with me at an estate sale several years ago and she bought a My Pet Monster big plush because she had wanted one as a child. She checked it out on my phone before purchasing for 33 cents and she sold it for $100. She decided she needed the $100 more than the plush!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite sales (not my highest, just favorite) was a 1980 Snuzzles pig. It was a small stuffed animal that I dug out of the bottom of one of those giant bins that thrift stores use for plush. I paid .99 and it sold for $105.00! I couldn't believe someone would pay that for an d stuffed animal!

    ReplyDelete