Saturday, September 5, 2015

Brands We Sell Most Often

My numbers will be a little off on this post because Buckeye decided she didn't like my old school record keeping and destroyed my records, but you'll get the idea. 



I salvaged some of my records, but a lot were gone. Needless to say....I was NOT happy! 

Anyway, we've sold a lot of brands over the last 18 months. We've sold big name designer brands like Versace, Gucci, Armani, Dries Van Noten and Ferragamo. Yet; the high end designer brands don't make up the majority of our sales. In fact, those items can be harder to sell as the pool of buyers looking to spend big money on eBay on a piece of clothing isn't too large. We find and sell a lot of middle of the road brands. The brands that really expensive new but can be reasonable used on eBay. The brands we buy and sell most often are (examples included are recent sales): 

1. Nike: 24 items sold 

Nike is the easiest brand to find and resell. We look for jerseys, shoes, vintage items (the color of the tag is a hint to if its vintage) and Dri-fit items. Nike items are far from an automatic buy as they are EVERYWHERE, but if you stick to the examples we listed above; you will do well. 


     UF Nike Dri-Fit Polo Shirt: NWOT 

                    Cost: $4.49 
                    Sold: $27.99 


2. 7 For All Mankind: 19 pairs of jeans sold

7 For All Mankind jeans are very expensive if purchased new. Considering how expensive they can be new, I'm shocked at how many pairs we find at thrift stores. We find them VERY frequently. An added bonus with 7 For All Mankind jeans is most thrift store employees don't know the brand and won't jack up the price (most anyway). So, you can sometimes get them pretty cheap. We've sold every single pair of 7FAMK jeans we've ever listed. Like any other brand, the selling prices greatly fluctuate though. If you find a pair of 7 For All Mankind jeans for under $5.00 they are an automatic buy. If they will cost you more than $5.00, look up the style or line before making the purchase. 



     7 For All Mankind Gray Skinny Jeans

                    Cost: $4.49 
                    Sold: 24.99 


3. Jordan Brand: 16 items sold

I spent my entire life until two years ago, playing or coaching basketball. I've traveled the country coaching, was one of the only female high school men's basketball coaches in the country and even coached NBA players. So, buying and selling Jordan products is natural for me. It's VERY hard to not make money on a Jordan item. The shoes, shorts, shirts and basically anything sell well. Condition and price are the only things that ever stop me from buying a Jordan brand item. Most thrift stores know Jordan shoes are valuable and will price accordingly. Sometimes, even priced high Jordan shoes are a great purchase for resale. If you find Jordan items in great condition for a reasonable price: BUY THEM! If you aren't buying and selling Jordan items, you are leaving money on the table. Our number of Jordan brand sales would be a lot higher but it's the one brand I have a weakness for and tend to keep the items instead of selling them. I've kept three pairs of shoes, pants, shorts and countless shirts for myself. I guess you can take me away from basketball but you can't take basketball out of me! 



               Jordan XIII child's shoes

                    Cost: $2.99 
                    Sold: $29.99 


4. Harley-Davidson: 15 items sold

Harley-Davidson is my favorite brand to sell. Why? Harley-Davidson fans are passionate and extremely loyal. I have sold every single Harley-Davidson item I've ever purchased and for VERY good profits. In May, I found six Harley-Davidson men's XL button down shirts at Goodwill one day. Someone had taken them to the dry cleaner and never picked them up. My heart literally was about to jump out of my chest with excitement (it was the same day we found 5 Dries Van Noten items and 4 Marni items). The six Harley-Davidson shirts cost me $25.74. I sold them for a combined $301.95. A profit of $276.21 on six shirts! 
I purchase ANYTHING Harley-Davidson if the price is right. In general, I sell T-shirts in lots of two to five shirts; except vintage T-shirts. Other items like button down shirts, sweatshirts, books, ties, and even Christmas ornaments I sell individually. People will buy your Harley-Davidson items and they will pay a nice price for it too! 



      Harley-Davidson button down shirt 

                    Cost: $4.49
                    Sold: $47.00 


5. Champion Brand: 14 items sold

I haven't sold any Champion Brand items recently, so I don't have any pictures; but I love to buy and sell it. Champion was a very popular sports brand in the 80's and 90's. I look for vintage basketball and football jerseys from Champion. Last February, I found nine vintage Champion jerseys at a Goodwill in Tallahassee. It looked like someone cleaned out the closet from their youth; as the jerseys were from 1992-1996. This was another occasion when my heart was about to leap out of my chest! On the nine jerseys we spent $34.99. We still have one left to sell but so far we made $241.94 on the jerseys; a $206.95 profit! If you find Champion football or basketball jerseys buy them. Thrift stores generally price them really low and huge profits can be made. Keep in mind: the popularity of the player and rarity of the jersey factor greatly in a jersey's resale value. I'd look up any other Champion Brand item before purchasing for resale. 


6. Ralph Lauren: 13 items sold

I don't buy Ralph Lauren items very often. Ebay is overly saturated with the brand and most sell for very little. I make exceptions for a few items such as; vintage items, plus size clothing (if cheap), black or purple label items or anything REALLY cheap. Ralph Lauren items can often be found at Goodwill Outlets, so I usually only buy it there. I did pay $4.49 for a black label 100% linen button down shirt a couple months ago, but it's rare for me to pay much for anything Ralph Lauren. 
In my last post I spoke about the Polo Ralph Lauren alligator belt I found at the Goodwill Outlet. I found it at the bottom of a bin that everybody else had ignored. It cost me 30 cents and sold in one day. Items like this belt, show Ralph Lauren can be sold for a nice profit; but be very careful about picking Ralph Lauren items for resale. 



    Ralph Lauren American Alligator belt

                    Cost: 30 cents 
                    Sold: $64.00 


7. Reebok: 11 items sold

Reebok had really fallen on hard times, but is gaining steam again. People are paying nice prices for Reebok shoes and vintage items. The majority of my Reebok sales are from football and hockey jerseys. Stitched Reebok hockey jerseys can sell for BIG money. Buy them when you see them and collect your money quickly after that. My best recent Reebok item, I found in Frederick, Maryland. I knew right away it was a great buy. Basically, if you find a stitched jersey at a reasonable price; buy it! 



        Clay Matthews Reebok Jersey 

                    Cost: $3.00 
                    Sold: $34.99 



8. Tommy Bahama: 11 items sold

Living in Florida, I could make a living just off Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirts. The number of items sold is actually a lot higher, but I like to sell Hawaiian shirts in lots of 3-6 shirts, regardless of brand. Tommy Bahama shirts always sell on eBay. The bigger the size, the bigger the profit. Look for 100% silk shirts, they will bring you the highest profit. In Florida, Tommy Bahama shirts are pretty easy to find, but so easy to find in the other areas we've shopped. You can sell them individually or in lots. I prefer lots. 
If you find a Tommy Bahama shirt with a large embroidered design on the back...do your happy dance! I found this shirt on the same rack as the six Harley-Davidson shirts. Why can't every day at Goodwill be so amazing? 


      Tommy Bahama silk men's shirt

                    Cost: $4.49 
                    Sold: $57.00 


What brands do you sell the most? What brands do you wish you could sell more of? 

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog! I have picked up my first Harley Davidson item, will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J crew women's. Lululemon workout clothes. Banana Republic silk dresses. LL Bean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Nike is my favorite brand to resell. I find that 7 for all Mankind is a hit or miss.. Some sells great & some I can't give away.

    ReplyDelete