Monday, September 7, 2015

The Struggle is REAL!

We all go through slumps selling on eBay. It's definitely a trip filled with peeks and valleys. This valley stings more than the rest though. 
At the beginning of August I set the goal to save $1400 to take Courtney to New Orleans for her birthday. It's the first time she let me plan her birthday and I am going to make it memorable. I had 40 days to save $1400, a challenge for sure. Going into Labor Day weekend I needed to make around $150. Most weekends $150 is no problem: Fridays and Saturdays are usually my best days. Of course this weekend, I didn't sell one item on Friday or Saturday and only one thing on Sunday. 

*Warning pity party and vent coming* 

I'm not sure how I could only sell one item all weekend; especially now! I put in the work all week. I listed nearly 40 items last week (only sold 4 items for September). I helped a friend in GREAT need, so my karma levels should be good. My prices are never high. Products are generally good to great. I'm frustrated to say the least! Hopefully, I can sell some things the next four days and reach my goal. 

                  * Pity party over* 

Here is the one item we sold all weekend: 



      Diesel Louvely women's jeans 29 
I paid too much for these jeans, but I have a weakness for Diesel items. 

                    Cost: $6.00
                    Sold: $19.99 


I need everybody's advice on some items. The following are some of my current listings. They all have four or more watchers and tons of views. The prices aren't high or low. A few of the items are really rare, so knowing the right price can be difficult. Could you all tell me what I'm doing wrong? What could I change? Any ideas? What has worked for you? 



J. Press handwoven tweed men's jacket. You can see it has over 1400 views the last two months! So why hasn't anyone bought it? The only other comparable one that has sold or even been listed (at the time) sold for much more. I wouldn't mind lowering the price as I only paid $3.00 for it, but I've already lowered the price significantly. I'm perplexed! Help me! 



Dries Van Noten silk shawl or cardigan on the left. Marni cashmere top on the right. They cost me $3.37 each and I bought them at the same time (same day I bought all the Harley-Davidson shirts). These have been listed since May. There is nothing comparable listed or sold on eBay. 



Marni shirt on the left. I bought it with the other Marni shirt and for $3.37 also. Betsy Johnson dress on the right. I paid $1.00 for it back in May. Like the items above, I couldn't find anything comparable on eBay. 



Edwin men's jeans I bought in Maryland over Spring Break. I paid $6.00 for the jeans: far too much. CJ by Cookie Johnson size 12 women's jeans on the right. I paid $3.00 for them back in May. 



Nat Nast 100% linen men's 2x shirt. It's been listed since May and had tons of views and inquiries. Arc'Teryx jacket I just bought for $2.29 in August. 



Dr. Marten leather ankle boots. I bought these back in May for $8.00. Pink Floyd Blacklight poster my brother had in high school. 


How can I turn all these views and watches into sales? 


At least I can get excited about one thing: 


     Ohio State plays Virginia Tech tonight! 

3 comments:

  1. I just started reading your blog a few days ago, after coming across it while reading another Ebay blogger who followed you :)

    I'm by no means an expert on this but have you thought of offering free shipping on the items you really want to move? Free shipping will place you higher in the searches on Ebay.

    Just a thought. Hope your sales pick up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading! I appreciate your advice and you taking the time to write me. I'll give it a try! I never saw a pick up in sales with free shipping but it's worth a try. I changed some of my items to free shipping this morning :)
    The struggle is good sometimes. I wanted to share my struggle so people see the reality of selling on eBay. It's not for the faint of heart. If I'm going to share the ups, it's only fair to share the downs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you offering Best Offer? I do most sales on best offer.

    ReplyDelete