Sunday, September 13, 2015

Helping Those In Need.....

A major part of my ebay business involves helping others in need. We sell items for people in desperate need of money. We keep a certain percentage of the profit; with the amount determined by the person's need and how much work is involved. 
For instance; an elderly family friend goes north every summer. Last summer, she asked me to work on her house and sell whatever items I found around the house. Now, this woman is a HOARDER! I found food from the 90's! Luckily, she is a pretty clean hoarder. In fact, I don't think she is technically a hoarder. She is a shopping addict, who buys stuff then forgets about it. She is physically unable to organize her house so it had become out of control. I spent at least 150 hours working on her home. See the pictures: 




The before and after pictures of her formal living room! Every room was packed like the living room or even worse. See the bedroom: 


I couldn't even open the door when I started. Here is after a little work: 




For most thrift flippers, the hunt or chase is their favorite. Cleaning/organizing my friends house was the greatest treasure hunt ever! I found a Tonka truck from the 1960's still in the box, vintage toys and vintage clothes still with the tags on. I found sealed vinyl records, vintage shoes, electronics and collectibles. I even found 1970's Hanes underwear still in the package (which I found out sell for big money). So far, I've sold 116 items for my elderly friend. She was in great need of money and was grateful to have a clean home. I enjoyed the process and felt really good about helping her. I'd love to finish the project one day. 

Due to the amount of time I spent cleaning the house, finding the items, cleaning the items and listing them; I split the profits 50/50. So far we've each made $795.00. Plus, I still have 21 items listed for a total of $320. Here are a few of the recent sales I've had from my friends house: 



Vintage children's clothing lot 70's & 80's

                    Sold: $38.00 




Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren boys swim trunks from the 1980's. New with tags. 

                    Sold: $10.00 



Golden Books twin tape pack from 1979. We didn't make much on it, but the person who bought it said: "I had this set as a child. Thank you for selling it." I love hearing feedback like that. 

                    Sold: $4.99 



I sell for another friend, who is in GREAT need. My best friend and mentor is a disabled woman, who survived a near fatal car crash and six months in a coma. In the last 18 months, her mother and husband passed away. Then, in February she lost her part time job. Now, Social Security Disablility has ended her benefits because they claim she made less than $100 more than she is allowed in one month in 2014! My friend keeps getting punched on the chin, but never gives up. She is AMAZING! 
I organized a yard sale for her from the left over ebay items I didn't sell and items I collected from friends. 



Hopefully, the yard sale can help her. When it comes to ebay, I have a different agreement with her. I give her about 90% of the profit. I know that doesn't leave me much money, but helping a friend in need is priceless. So far, I've only sold 12 items for her for a total of $214.50. It's not much, but it will keep her lights on for a couple month. Currently, I have 16 more items listed for a total of $160. I'm thinking about starting a GoFundMe campaign for her if anyone would like to help let me know. Check out the videos of her being fired on YouTube under: Disabled Lives Matter. 

Here are some items I've sold for her recently: 



    Talbots heels: new without the box

                    Sold: $24.99


 
          Chaps by Ralph Lauren skirt 

                    Sold: $7.99 




     Steve Madden leather moccasins

                    Sold: $11.99 




If you don't sell for other people, why not? I love to sell for other people. What are the benefits: 

1. Help other people in need. 
2. Learn about products/items you never knew about. I didn't know vintage men's underwear were so valuable until helping my friend sell items from her home. 
3. Opportunity for additional income at NO cost to you. 
4. Opportunity for additional feedback. 


If you don't sell for other people, I would suggest you try it. People are always asking me to sell something for them. Why turn the opportunity to help someone else and yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment