Saturday, May 7, 2016

A-Z Brands: F




A-Z Brands: F 

Faconnable 

Faconnable is an international high end men's and women's clothing company founded in Nice, France by Jean Goldberg in 1950. Goldberg, a master tailor, opened his first shop in Nice and quickly film stars were stopping by the purchase clothing for the Cannes Film Festival. Goldberg's store gained grained notoriety along the French Riviera for dressing stars such as Tony Curtis and Cary Grant. In 1961, Jean Goldberg retired and his son Albert assumed control of the Nice workshop. After a trip to Brooks Brothers in New York, Albert decided to produced a collection of ready to wear clothing and renamed the business "Faconnable," a variation of the word Faconner (to create). 

Throughout the 70's and 80's, Albert Goldberg collaborated with the best fashion designers in the world and opened boutiques throughout France. The first boutique in Paris opened in 1984 and in 1988 Faconnable agreed to an American distribution deal with Nordstrom. Today, the company is still thriving and is owned by a Lebanese company. 


Ebay is loaded with Faconnable items. There are 7,025 pre-owned items currently listed and 3,955 have sold recently. By far the most listed Faconnable items are men's button down dress shirts. Here are a few recent Faconnable sales: 














Faconnable is not an uncommon brand to find. You've probably found some pieces and didn't realize it. I find a Faconnable item once or twice a month. I usually only buy Faconnable items if they are on sale or something amazing. I've sold 3 Faconnable pieces: 






I bought this sweatshirt for $2.49 and sold it for $22. 




Any Faconnable piece you find with the tags still on it....buy! I bought this tie for $3.99 and sold it for $32. 


My advice: try to buy the following Faconnable items- 
Jackets, suits, anything made of leather or cashmere (duh), anything vintage made by the Goldberg family, shoes and accessories. 
I would sell dress shirts and pants in lots but single shirts can sell; the competition is just fierce. Also keep in mind, men's items sell much better than women's items. Faconnable items don't sell quickly, but they will sell. 


Faconnable grades: 
Selling price: B-
Availability: B 
Consistency: C 
Competition: C- 
Overall: C+ 

Next A-Z Brand: G & H 

Gieves & Hawkes
Hickey Freeman 


1 comment:

  1. I sold a women's cashmere blend sweater in this brand during the winter, and I have the nicest Falconnable Loro Piana Storm System wool coat listed now. I see these pieces frequently but, like you, I'm careful about what I take home with me. I'm hoping that jacket will sell for more than $100 when fall/winter returns. :)

    ReplyDelete