Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A-Z Brands: S

Wow! I can't believe the A-Z List is already at S. Let's do this!


A-Z Brands: S 

Starter 






Starter, a Connecticut based company, was founded in 1971 by David Beckerman. Started by manufacturing team uniforms for HS. In 1976 signed license agreement with MLB. 1979 signed to supply iconic satin jackets for MLB teams. "First to make team jackets out of satin, instead of the usual cheap nylon." 

Starter had tremendous growth in the 1980's. In 1980, it began partnerships with MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL as well as over 150 universities. Starter's bright, flashy team jackets became status symbols among kids. In 1986, created locker room T-Shirts for NBA teams. Also, produced parkas for NFL coaches to wear on the sideline and the closely resembling breakaway jacket for fans. Sales were $58.9 million in 1989, by 1990 they were $124.6 million (incredible increase). 

In the 1990's, Starter expanded beyond sporting goods. Their sales expanded to over $356 million and they went public on the New York Stock Exchange in 1983. Starter's sales slowly declined beginning in 1994. In 2000, the New York Yankees were the last MLB team to wear Starter jackets. The company eventually was purchased by Nike. 

In 2007, Iconix Brand Group bought Starter from Nike and began selling at Walmart. In March 2013, Starter began selling Satin jackets again at Foot Locker and Sports Authority. 


Starter brand products are fairly popular on eBay with 5503 pre-owned items currently listed and 3828 sold recently. When selling Starter items here are some things to keep in mind: 

1. Make sure you find the vintage items. Not what is currently sold at Wal-Mart. 
2. Satin jackets are KING! Other jackets sell reasonably well also. 
3. Raiders jackets sell for BIG bucks. NFL teams and iconic teams sell the best. 
4. Hats sell well also. 
5. Avoid regular items like shorts and T-Shirts. 

Here are some recent Starter ebay sales: 





















I have found several Starter brand items I was interested in buying. Most thrift stores know vintage Starter jackets are valuable and will price accordingly, so I only buy if the price is right. I've purchased 5 Starter jackets and sold 4 of them. Here are a few that I've bought and sold (not all my pics): 



                       Cost: $6.00 
                      Sold: $40.00 

It's no big surprise that I found this jacket at the Goodwill 5 minutes from campus. Good thing I'm not a Gator fan and am not tempted to keep all the great UF items I find. 





                       Cost: $6.00 
                      Sold: $50.00 

I found this Detroit Tigers jacket at the same Goodwill as the Gator jacket but about a month later. 




                       Cost: $1.14 
                      Sold: $24.99 

Found this Notre Dame Starter jacket at the Goodwill Outlet in the bins. Not a bad find. 




                       Cost: $20.00 

This is the most expensive thrift store item I have ever bought. Why? I bought it for myself. I've always wanted an Ohio State Starter jacket and found this on my last visit to Columbus. Yes I could sell it for good money but sometimes we have to keep things for ourselves. 


I wouldn't suggest spending $20 on a Starter jacket unless it's a VERY popular or currently winning team. Although, in most cases $10-$15 for a vintage satin jacket should leave you plenty of room for profit. Anything less than $10 will make you a great profit! 


Next A-Z Brands: S 

St. John 

2 comments:

  1. I've found a couple older Starter jackets, love them. Also the other day I was thrifting and found some Champion jerseys. I remember reading on your blog that they sell so I bought two of them. I listed them and one of them (Allen Iverson) sold 5 minutes after listing for $70.00! So thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marci!
      You made my day! I'm so excited about your find. Not only did you make a great profit....you did it with my favorite player's jersey. I'm so happy to have helped you. That's the whole reason I share my knowledge. Thank you for sharing your find!

      Delete