Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A-Z Brands: D

I'm back with my A-Z Brands list and we are on to D. Sorry for the delay! I went to the Goodwill Outlet and a few other thrift stores yesterday....I NEEDED time to recover. On with the list! 

A-Z Brands: D 

Dr. Martens 



Dr. Martens is a British footwear and clothing brand; distinguished by its air-cushioned sole, upper shape, welted construction and yellow stitching. 
Klaus Martens was a doctor in German Army during World War II and injured his ankle in 1945. He found that his standard issue army boots were too uncomfortable, so he designed improvements to his boots. When the war ended Martens found supplies and started a boot company. In 1947, the company started having success after using rubber from Luftwaffe airfields. Sales grew so much, Dr. Martens opened a factory in Munich in 1952. In 1959, British shoe manufacturer R. Griggs bought the patent and began manufacturing the shoes in the UK. Griggs anglicized the name, slightly re-shaped the heel and added the trademark yellow stitching. 
  Initially, Dr. Martens were popular amongst postmen, police officers and factory workers. In the 1980's, they became popular with scooter riders, punks, musicians and members of the youth subculture. The shoes popularity with skinheads led to the brand gaining association with violence. Dr. Martens were a HUGE segment of the 1990's grunge culture. 
  Dr. Martens produces about 5 million pairs of shoes per year. The company's popularity and revenue shrunk significantly over the last 15 years. Overall, 100 million pairs of Dr. Martens were sold between 1960 and 2010 but the number sold each year is decreasing.

There were 12,727 pre-owned pairs of Dr. Martens sold on eBay recently. The price ranges from $5 to $300; with one pair going for a surprisingly high price of $500.00. Like most brands on eBay, vintage sells! If you find a vintage pair of Dr. Martens: buy them! Recent pairs can be sold for a profit as well if the condition and price are right. Here are some recent sales of pre-owned Dr. Martens: 















* Personally thought these were cool* 









I have found 2 pairs of Dr. Martens myself. Growing up in the 1990's, all the rich kids had Dr. Martens. So, naturally I didn't! I kept one of the pairs I found and sold other. Why not feel like one of the rich kids....even if it's 15 years later? The pair I sold was listed for about six months (a LONG time for me), but had A LOT of views and watchers. I settled for a lower price than I wanted but was happy for the sale. This is not the greatest picture, maybe that was part of the problem? 



                    Cost: $4.99 
                   Sold: $22.99 


Tips for finding and selling Dr. Martens: 

1. Look for the signature yellow stitching 
2. They are heavy! Price your shipping accordingly. 
3. Thrift stores know Dr. Martens can be valuable. Make sure the profit margin is right before buying them! 


Honestly, after reading about Dr. Martens' history I might not buy and sell any more pairs. There are some brands or items I refuse to buy and sell due to moral reasons. I'm not sure I feel comfortable selling a brand that got its start in the German Army and has been associated with violence. I will have to research the company a little further before making a determination. Are there any brands or items you refuse to sell due to personal morals? 


Tomorrow's Letter of the day: E 
Edwin Jeans 



No comments:

Post a Comment