Sunday, October 18, 2015

What Would You Do? Sourcing Edition

I find myself with a sourcing problem and need some suggestions. I'm down to only 168 items listed because I've run out of items to list. I have a couple things sitting around but that's it. I'm going to explain my scenario and let's see if I can get some suggestions. I will follow your suggestions and see how it goes! 

1. We only have 9 thrift stores in Gainesville; only 3 are any good (and the 2 Goodwills have high prices). 

2. The closest Goodwill Outlet is 40 miles away: one way. 

3. Gainesville is 90 minutes (one way) from Orlando, Jacksonville and Tampa. All of which have a HUGE amount of amazing thrift stores. 

4. Naples, where I grew up, is four hours away (one way) and is thrifter Heaven. 

5. I work with Daniella Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons plus on the weekends. 

I'm having trouble finding products to sell in this situation. Last year I only worked weekends and occasionally in the afternoon, so I could go thrift shopping all over the place. With my new schedule, it's not happening. I'm selling faster than I'm buying, which is good but I need more items to list. What would you do? 


Here are a few things I've sold the last couple days: 




        Grant Hill Champion Jersey 
Check out my A-Z Brands list for info on Champion. The jersey had a stain on it or it would've sold for much more. 

                      Cost: $1.14 
                     Sold: $14.99 





     Michael Jordan YL Champ Jersey

                      Cost: $2.29 
                     Sold: $24.99 




 
          Betsey Johnson Small Dress 

                      Cost: $1.00 
                     Sold: $19.00 





        LL Bean Men's Blazer/Jacket

                      Cost: $2.50 
                     Sold: $14.00 




 
           North Face Youth Jacket 

                      Cost: $3.97 
                     Sold: $29.00 


My ebay weekend was pretty quiet, how was yours? Thanks in advance for any advice! 

7 comments:

  1. Considering that your time is limited, I would suggest trying this:

    Start with planning ONE huge thrift day a month as a test run. Dedicate this day to ONLY Ebay sourcing and do a power, mega shop. Personally, I would go where the bounty is - you mentioned the 90 minute drive to Orlando, Tampa, etc....I would start with that. Get up early, make the drive and spend the day there, buying as much as you can.

    You can always hit your local thrift stores on the way home or on a slow day when you're at home. Based on what you shared about your schedule, Tuesday or Thursday are going to be your shopping days.

    Do you go back home for the holidays or to visit family? If you make that 4 hour drive, hit that area then.

    Are there any rummage sales in your area? Start looking in your local paper or online classified ads for rummage sales, church sales, etc. That may help broaden your sourcing options. Just my two cents :)

    I know people who use Craigslist for inventory but that's not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI - I did a quick search on rummage sales, check this out:

    http://garagesalefinder.com/s/iJUB/3275-southwest-40-boulevard-gainesville-fl-32608

    You can look for more here:
    http://garagesalefinder.com/yard-sales/gainesville-fl/

    Is this something that you could take Daniella to, and shop at the same time??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your advice! I will definitely follow it.
    You kind of read my mind! Saturday I went garage sale shopping. October-March are really the garage sale months in Florida. I'm going home this weekend and going thrift shopping. Plus all of Thanksgiving week.

    The day of power shopping is a great idea! I hadn't been able to do one of those days since adopting the demon dogs in March :) Orlando is great for thrift shopping except for the distance between shops is crazy. Maybe I'll try Tampa sometime soon. Maybe after the dogs start their training class!

    Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding the dogs........have you tried crates?

    I used to HATE the idea of a 'cage" but crate training ended up being a God send for me, when I had destructive Pomeranian who tore the entire house apart.

    Crating (when done correctly) can actually calm separation anxiety - or the party animal when you're gone. I made it a positive experience by giving a treat each time the dog was put in so they would associate it the crate with "good" and not a punishment.

    Just a thought..........good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think that yard sales & rummage sales are a good idea. I recently started doing this more and the profits are much better (and the items seem to sell faster). Another option is Bealls Outlet. I started on Ebay by reselling clearance items from there... I've had good luck with Levi's Jeans, women's plus size jeans, big & tall men's items and some of their shoes. I usually only buy if it's 70% or 95% off but sometimes make exceptions if its a really hot item and 50% off. If you shop on Friday you can get an additional 15% off too. If you end up thrifting in Tampa, there is a GW Outlet in St. Pete that's right over the Gandy Bridge. Sunshine Thrift & Salvation Army in South Tampa are good too and not too far from there. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there any flea markets near you that might have stuff? Also, if you were willing to branch out of clothing, I have heard of people sourcing from antique stores. I don't think you would find a lot there priced low enough to resell for a profit but if there were any nearby, it might be worth checking out. Good luck! Garage sales sound promising!

    ReplyDelete