Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A-Z Brands: L

  I went to the Goodwill Outlet in Ocala yesterday. I see why people love to source at the Outlet: it's dirt cheap! At this point though, I look at it as a necessary evil. Why? 

1. The people are CRAZY! I can't stand the pushing and bumping. The GWO tests the limits of my A.D.D. medication that keeps me mellow. I wanted to elbow a lady in the throat yesterday. She is an obvious flipper and tried to push me out of the way to take a pair of jeans in the bin I was looking at. She got the look of death and didn't try it again. 

2. The same people are in there EVERYDAY! The white man that sells at the flea market on Sundays. The white lady, who sells on eBay. The Haitians, who ship their finds back to Haiti. And the Hispanic women that always bring all their children. No stereotypes here....that is exactly who is there everyday. 

3. Only the regulars get carts. The lady who flips on eBay gets 2 carts every day. Even though she arrived after me, she got 2 carts. While, I'm digging for bags to load things in. I'm convinced the staff saves the carts for the people who come everyday. 

4. The GWO is physically demanding; especially for a disabled person. I brought my disabled friend, who walks with a crutch, two weeks ago and people were pushing her. I was beyond angry! 

Anyway, I found a couple good items to sell. An early 90's Nike sweatshirt, Jones New York women's khakis 18w with the tags, boys Ferrari pants and a cycling jersey that sells for over $50. The rest was filler items. Not bad for $10.00, but I'm not sure I'll go back for a while. 


A-Z Brands: L 

Lanvin 



  Lanvin is the oldest French fashion house still in operation. The company was founded by Jeanne Lanvin in 1889. Jeanne Lanvin made such beautiful clothing for her daughter that she attracted the attention of many wealthy people, who requested copies for their children. Soon, she was making clothing for some of the most famous people in Europe. Lanvin opened her first Paris boutique in 1908. In the 1920's, Lanvin opened shops devoted to home decor, menswear, furs and lingerie. Her most significant expansion was the creation of Lanvin Parfums and the introduction of "My Sin," in 1925. Jeanne Lanvin was one of the most influential designers of the 1920's and 1930's with her use of intricate trimmings, virtuoso embroideries, and beaded decorations. 
  When Jeanne Lanvin died in 1946, ownership of the fashion house went to her daughter. The company changed hands between the family and L'Oreal between 1960 and 1996; as L'Oreal owns it currently. 
  In 2006, Lanvin debuted its first men's line with great success. While enjoying a revitalized reputation in luxury, Lanvin received mainstream press in the United States when Michelle Obama was photographed wearing Lanvin shoes. The sneakers retailed for $540 in May 2009. In December 2009, Lanvin opened its first U.S. store in Bal Harbour, Florida. In 2011, sales were reported at over $207 million. 

  Lanvin sells very well on eBay. Currently, there are 4,985 pre-owned Lanvin items listed on eBay and 2,919 have sold recently. Shoes, jackets and suits seem to sell for the highest profit (like most the brands I've profiled). Although, all Lanvin items sell pretty well. Here are some recent sales: 



























  I have purchased four Lanvin items from thrift shops; which is every one I've ever found. Bet I find something in Naples this weekend! Lanvin is one of my favorite brands to look for. The items are of such high quality and personify class. I have one men's blazer I purchased for $2.00, that I'm taking to get dry cleaned. Otherwise, I sold the following Lanvin items: 



                      Cost: $3.37 






                     Cost: $1.00-$2.00


  When I started selling on eBay, I had never heard of Lanvin. I'm definitely a fan now; especially after reading the company's history. I try to support companies founded by women, minorities and the disabled whenever possible. 


Next A-Z Brand: L 

Life is Good 

2 comments:

  1. Your experience is what I've heard from many others who brave the Outlet. I honestly don't think I could take it. Though the low prices are tempting, I cannot stand pushing, shoving and such a "barbaric" mentality. I had a very rude woman at a NORMAL Goodwill, very close behind me at a rack, shoving the clothes towards my side, bumping into me as if I was moving down the rack fast enough. At first I thought it was an accident, then realized she was "bullying" me to go faster. While I would love the thought of scoring such good deals, I have to wonder if the Outlet is worth it for me personally. Since the closest one is over 2 hours away.....guess I won't find out anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you for not going any time soon! 2 hours is a long drive to be pushed around looking through clothes that are mostly stained and torn up! People can be so rude.
    I will say that some Goodwill Outlets don't have the bins. One I went to in Maryland was designed like a normal Goodwill but everything was 50% off. I cleaned up at that store. In August I went to two in the Sarasota area where they were designed like normal Goodwill stores but everything was on sale. All jeans were $2.49, shirts $1.49 and jackets $2.99. A few high quality items were 50% off the tag price but everything was much cheaper than normal. I found great items too. I bought a pair of NYDJ skinny jeans in a python pattern for $2.49 and sold them for $35.00.
    If you can find those type of outlets, you'd definitely want to go. The bins are unnecessary mayhem.

    ReplyDelete