Thursday, October 29, 2015

A-Z Brands: M Part III


I've realized something very valuable this week: trying to compare yourself to anyone else only causes problems. I realized this is only aspects of life but not selling on eBay until now. I read so many ebay seller's blogs and always admire their work ethic and success. A few months ago I thought to myself: "If I could only put in the work they do, I can be just as successful." In October my thoughts proved to be true. What I forgot to realize is the other sellers don't have multiple debilitating conditions and they probably haven't suffered through 18 surgeries. Yes, if I can work as hard as other sellers I can be successful like them. Unlike them though....I will pay a very STEEP cost for the hard work. I've spent the week in so much pain. My entire body hurts. I'm happy I pushed myself, but it cost me. 

Moral of the story is: even in the world of selling on eBay, don't compare yourself to anyone else. You determine your own definition of success. 


A-Z Brands: M 

Mitchell & Ness


Mitchell & Ness is an American sports clothing company in Philadelphia. Founded in 1904, it's one of the oldest sporting goods companies in the United States. Mitchell & Ness supplied the jerseys and equipment for the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies and Athletics starting in the 1930's. 

In 1983 the company almost went bankrupt after over expanding and reduced back down to one store. In 1985, a customer asked if Mitchell & Ness could repair his vintage wool flannel MLB uniforms. Mitchell & Ness determined they could make the repairs and developed an idea to reproduce historically accurate wool-flannel baseball uniforms. Major League Baseball teams stopped wearing wool flannel jerseys in 1972, but Mitchell & Ness performed countless hours of research to produce historically precise jerseys. Mitchell & Ness was fortunate to find in an old dusty warehouse, rolls of old baseball flannel to make uniforms from 50 years earlier. They were still carefully wrapped, untouched and in new condition; ready to be cut and sewn. Mitchell & Ness sewed the flannel, applied lettering and patches; then sold out the first set of jerseys over night. Sports Illustrated and The New York Times wrote articles about the company and the process of making their vintage jersey. 

In 1999, Mitchell & Ness expanded to NBA jerseys. In 2000 to NFL jerseys and in 2002 to NHL jerseys. Today, they have license agreements with all 4 major professional sports leagues. 

In 1998, Mitchell & Ness' reported sales were $1.5 million; by 2002 they were $23 million. Adidas purchased Mitchell & Ness in 2007. 


Mitchell & Ness items are popular on eBay; yet there isn't a major saturation of product. Currently, 2868 pre-owned items are listed and 4629 have recently sold. I can imagine 1980's Mitchell & Ness items would bring in a pretty penny! Otherwise, look for iconic players such as Michael Jordan, Dr. J, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West and Larry Bird. 

In my Goodwill jerseys are $4.29, at this price buy ANY Mitchell & Ness jersey you find. Hats sell for less (for the most part), but if they are in good condition and can be purchased for cheap...then buy them too! It's hard to not make money on a Mitchell & Ness item! 

Here are some that have sold recently: 




         This one shocked me! 



































I have bought and sold 2 Mitchell & Ness items; both from my Goodwill in Gainesville. One was a Denver Nuggets hat in pretty bad shape, which I sold for $5.00. The other was this jersey: 




That's not my picture, but it's the same jersey and it sold for the same price. I paid $4.29 for it. 


You won't find very many Mitchell & Ness items; unless maybe you live in the Philadelphia area. Look for thick, high quality, vintage style jerseys when looking for Mitchell & Ness jerseys. By all means...if you find one: buy it! 


*  If you find any brand on the list please share your story! I'd love to hear what you've found. * 


Next A-Z Brand: N 

Doing 4 N Brands also

Nat Nast 
Nick & Nora Sleepwear 
Naked & Famous jeans 
NYDJ 

1 comment:

  1. That is very good advice and SO TRUE! We have to take OUR situation and make the best of it. I don't have a Goodwill Outlet close to me so I will never find those amazing low prices that other Ebay sellers do.

    I live out in the country where there aren't auctions, or yard sales galore. I have to work around that and make the most of my time when I am close to places I can "source." I set my own personal goals and have to do what works best for me.

    The great thing about reading other blogs is that you get ideas you can try. If they don't work for you, you can move on. Offering free shipping works great for some, others think it doesn't matter. Some think LARGE inventories are the key, others says quality versus quantity.

    You just have to find your niche and work it! :) Your sales seem pretty steady and you obviously have a knowledge of the brands that sell well for you - it appears you're doing fine!

    ReplyDelete